Connect with us

Headlines

OPP documents outline case building against Ottawa councillor Tim Tierney

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Joanne Schnurr, CTV Ottawa


Published Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:44PM EST


Last Updated Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:48PM EST

Court documents filed by the Ontario Provincial Police outline the case they hope to present against Ottawa Councillor Tim Tierney. Tierney has been charged with breach of trust for allegedly trying to bribe an opponent to withdraw from the municipal election campaign.

On the surface, the documents are pretty damning, based on interviews and some text messages from the various parties involved, all so far unproven.  They were filed in court in order to obtain search warrants to cell phones.

In his campaign pitch, Tim Tierney outlined what he had done for this city and hoped for another go at it. But weeks after his successful bid for re-election, he was charged with corrupt practices under the municipal elections act. 

Court proceedings started last week and the OPP have filed documents outlining its case and requesting search warrants of cell phones. None of the allegations or statements in the documents has been proven in court.

Those documents, based on interviews and text messages, describe Tim Tierney’s alleged reaction to learning he will not be acclaimed in the election.

“I would love to fix this,” he’s alleged to say, “Damnit. Damnit.”

Tierney won the last municipal election by a landslide, garnering about 82% of the vote.  Still according to the documents, he was worried about a last minute opponent.  With about an hour to go before nominations closed, that’s exactly what happened.

That opponent, Michael Schurter, is at the centre of this investigation. The documents allege that Tierney offered to make a donation to the food bank if Schurter would withdraw his name.

 That conversation is alleged to have taken place on nomination day in the elections office with several people present.

Schurter is said to have told Tierney: “Tim, you’re on the speaker phone with an elections officer, me and my campaign manager.”

Tierney allegedly replies:  “Get me off the f****** speaker phone.”

The OPP documents then suggest that Tierney asked Schurter, “How much would I have to give for you not to run?”

And that Schurter says he would consider $15,000 but not commit to anything, then allegedly adding,

“Why don’t we agree to spend $5,000 on a campaign.  Just a gentleman’s agreement,” with Schurter suggesting that Tierney was crying on the phone.

CTV Ottawa tried to contact both Tim Tierney and Michael Schurter but neither returned our calls.  The case is back in court early next year.

 

 

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Headlines

‘Too soon to celebrate’ Ottawa’s low case count, says Etches

Editor

Published

on

By

Ottawa Public Health (OPH) logged just 11 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, the lowest daily total since Sept. 1.

Because of the lag between testing and reporting, the low number could simply reflect low turnout at the city’s testing sites on weekends — all month, new case counts have been lower on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 

During a virtual news conference Tuesday, the city’s medical officer of health Dr. Vera Etches said she doesn’t read too much into a single day’s report.

“I don’t think we can make too much of 11. Actually, it could be a lot higher tomorrow — I would expect that, on average,” she said. “It’s too soon to celebrate.”

Provincewide, public health officials reported 1, 249 new cases Tuesday.

OPH also declared 62 cases resolved Tuesday, lowering the number of known active cases in the city to 462. Two more people have died, both in care homes currently experiencing outbreaks, raising the city’s COVID-19 death toll to 361. 

Continue Reading

Headlines

Santa Claus isn’t coming to Ottawa’s major malls this year

Editor

Published

on

By

Santa Claus may still be coming to town this Christmas, but he won’t be dropping by any of Ottawa’s major malls, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Friday, Cadillac Fairview said Santa won’t be making an appearance at any of its 19 malls across Canada, including Rideau Centre in downtown Ottawa. On Tuesday, Bayshore and St. Laurent shopping centres confirmed they, too, are scrapping the annual tradition.

“Due to the evolution of the situation in regards to COVID-19, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our Santa Program and Gift Wrap Program this year,” Bayshore spokesperson Sara Macdonald wrote in an email to CBC.

Macdonald said parent company Ivanhoé Cambridge cancelled all holiday activities “due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases across the country.”

Macdonald said families that had already booked an appointment to visit Santa will receive an email with more information.  

Virtual visits with Santa

Rideau Centre said based on customer research and discussions with public health officials, its North Pole is going online this year.

“Children will be able to have a private chat with Santa,” said Craig Flannagan, vice-president of marketing for Cadillac Fairview. “You’ll also be able to join a 15-minute storytime with Santa over Facebook Live.” 

At Place d’Orléans Shopping Centre, visitors are invited to take a “selfie with Santa” — actually, a life-size cutout of Santa Pierre, the man who’s been playing Santa at the east end mall for years.

“We understand that this is not ideal, but in lieu of this tradition we will be doing what we can to maintain and encourage holiday cheer,” according to a statement on the mall’s Facebook page.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ottawa Bylaw breaks up two large parties in Ottawa over the weekend

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — Ottawa Bylaw is investigating social gatherings of more than 10 people in private homes across Ottawa last weekend.

Mayor Jim Watson tells Newstalk 580 CFRA that Ottawa Bylaw broke-up two house parties over the weekend, with 20 to 25 people at each party.

“That’s the kind of stupidity that angers me, that’s where the bulk of the transmissions are taking place, if we exclude the tragedy of the long-term care homes; it’s these house parties with unrelated people,” said Watson on Newstalk 580 CFRA’s Ottawa at Work with Leslie Roberts.

“The message doesn’t seem to be getting through, particularly to some young people who think they’re invincible.”

In a statement to CTV News Ottawa, Bylaw and Regulatory Services Director Roger Chapman says, “There are still ongoing investigations from this past weekend that could result in charges.”

Chapman says recent investigations led to two charges being issued for social gatherings of more than 10 people in a private residence in contravention of the Reopening Ontario Act.

“In one case, up to 30 individuals were observed attending a house party in Ward 18 on Oct. 24,” said Chapman.

“The second charge was issued following a house party in Ward 16 on Oct. 31, where up to 16 individuals were observed to be in attendance.”

The fine is $880 for hosting an illegal gathering.

Alta Vista is Ward 18, while Ward 16 is River Ward.

Ottawa Bylaw has issued 24 charges for illegal gatherings since the start of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending