Connect with us

Buzz

Islanders evacuated after deadly tsunami in Indonesia | Indonesia News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Desa Cantik, Indonesia – Nurmelis was watching TV on Saturday night in her home on Pulau Sebesi, one of the several small islands dotted around the Sunda Strait, located between the larger Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra, when the sea began to churn.

“I heard a wave crashing on the shore but it sounded louder than usual, so I went outside to take a look,” the 38-year-old housewife told Al Jazeera.

“As soon as I saw the second wave coming, I knew it was a tsunami. So, I just turned and ran up to the mountains.”

Nurmelis was right.

Fewer than 20km away from Pulau Sebesi, the latest eruption of Anak Krakatoa – an active volcanic island that has been spewing ash and lava for months – caused an underwater landslide that is widely believed to have set off a powerful tsunami.





Death toll from the tsunami crossed 420 with more than 1,400 people wounded [Teguh Harahap/Al Jazeera]

Minutes after the landslide, the giant waves hit the coastlines of Banten and Lampung provinces, on Java and Sumatra respectively, killing more than 400 people and destroying hundreds of seaside houses, hotels and other local businesses.

On the mountain without food

In Pulau Sebesi, home to an estimated 3,000 people, Nurmelis and her 42-year-old husband Faisal were afraid to return home so they stayed in the mountain without food until Monday, when the Indonesian army and rescue workers arrived with food supplies.

On Tuesday, the couple were allowed briefly to go back home to collect some belongings before the army began the evacuation of local residents to Desa Cantik, a village port in South Lampung.

When Nurmelis and Faisal did so, they found that their house was filled with sand and rocks.

Asih, another Pulau Sebesi resident, was asleep at home when the tsunami hit on Saturday evening. She was awoken by the noise of the waves. “I grabbed my two-year-old daughter and ran,” she said. “I didn’t even lock my door.”

Asih’s mother, Rohaya, joined them to a mountainous area of the island where the two women made a rudimentary tent using a tarpaulin they found discarded in the jungle.





Thousands of people were left homeless when the waves smashed homes [Teguh Harahap/Al Jazeera]

They also did not eat anything until Monday when the soldiers gave them rations of instant noodles which they had to cook using water provided from a thermos.

‘The sky is dark’

Sargent Tukijan, an officer in the Indonesian army, is helping to coordinate the evacuations from Pulau Sebesi.

“We plan to bring over about 400 people and will send five boats to Pulau Sebesi. This is the first,” he told Al Jazeera on Tuesday.

“We just can’t be sure of when the evacuations will be complete because we have to monitor the weather and the status of the volcano.”

With Anak Krakatoa still erupting, there are fears that the volcano could cause another tsunami – something that Rohaya feels is a strong possibility.

“I was born on Pulau Sebesi and I’ve never seen the volcano like this. It’s still erupting and the sky is dark,” she said, adding that she believed that this was a bad omen.

‘Last time I heard from my son’

Patiently waiting on the shore at Desa Cantik was Hidayat, 58, who was hoping his son, Hery, would be on the evacuation boat. He last spoke to the 34-year-old on Saturday night after the tsunami struck.

“I’d actually just come back from Pulau Sebesi as I’d gone to visit him. But he had to work on his chocolate plantation early the next morning so I went home on Saturday afternoon.

“When I heard there had been a tsunami, I was speechless. Then, he called me to say that his home had been hit and everything was gone. That was the last I heard from him,” he told Al Jazeera.

“I can’t get through to his phone so I don’t know what happened after that,” he said.





The tsunami hit almost without warning smashing into houses, hotels and other buildings [Teguh Harahap/Al Jazeera]

Hidayat has been asking evacuees about his son and said there have been possible sightings of him also hiding in the mountains. “I have hope he’s safe and I’ll see him soon,” he said.

“I don’t know why he’s not on the boat.”

Too weak to walk

As of Tuesday afternoon, the death toll stood at 429, with 1,485 people injured and 154 missing, said Sutopo Nugroho, spokesperson for the national disaster mitigation agency.

According to the agency, more than 16,000 people are now displaced as a result of the tsunami, including the evacuated residents of Pulau Sebesi.

Upon arrival at Desa Cantik, several were so weak from the lack of food that they had to be carried off the rickety wooden rescue boats on stretchers. Some collapsed once they reached the crisis centre.

Now, all they can do is wait in temporary camps until it’s deemed safe for them to return home.

For the moment, however, many are just happy to be out of danger – never having felt the fury of Anak Krakatoa in their lifetimes.

“It was incredible,” Faisal told Al Jazeera about the night of the eruption and tsunami. “Even the water was on fire.”

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Ottawa families give mixed reviews for online schooling

Editor

Published

on

By

So, how’s it going with online school? Families reached by CBC Ottawa seem to have mixed reviews. 

Masuma Khan is a mother of two. Her seven-year-old, Hana Wyndham in Grade 2, is attending French immersion virtual school. Masuma is grateful it’s an option, but can’t help notice a lot of down time.

“There’s a lot of, ‘are you on mute?’ In terms of the amount of learning that’s actually happening, it does seem to be not that high,” said Masuma.

Parents who kept their children at home this fall are in the minority, but they still form a significant chunk of families in Ottawa.

In the city’s largest school board, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB), about 27 per cent of elementary students and 22 per cent of high school students chose online learning. The Ottawa Catholic School Board says roughly a quarter of its students are online.

For Masuma, the decision to keep her daughter home was complex: extended family members are immunocompromised and she worried the in-person learning environment would be unpleasant because of precautions. She also felt her daughter might benefit from being supported at home.

“She doesn’t necessarily enjoy school. I also found out during the pandemic that she was being bullied [last year],” said Masuma. “So I thought, why not try from home?”

To help her daughter socialize face-to-face with other kids, Masuma enrolled Hana in Baxter Forest School, an alternative education program where kids spend most of their time outside, one day a week. Hana also attends virtual Arabic classes two days a week after school. 

Masuma’s husband and Hana share the living room work space, and Masuma admits he does the lion’s share of helping their daughter stay on task. There is a possibility that he’ll be required to return to his office in the new year.

“When he goes back to work … it’s probably going to be a little bit more difficult.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

No school closures after Christmas holiday break, says Ontario education minister

Editor

Published

on

By

Ontario elementary and secondary schools will not close for an extended winter break, says Education Minister Stephen Lecce.

Closures aren’t needed given Ontario’s “strong safety protocols, low levels of (COVID-19) transmission and safety within our schools,” Lecce announced Wednesday afternoon. He said he had consulted with Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and the province’s public health measures advisory table.

That ended speculation about school buildings remaining closed in January for a period of time after the Christmas break.

Earlier in the week, Lecce told reporters the government was considering having students spend “some period out of class” in January, perhaps switching to online learning.

In a statement, Lecce said that even though rates of community transmission of COVID-19 are increasing, “schools have been remarkably successful at minimizing outbreaks to ensure that our kids stay safe and learning in their classrooms.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

Windy start to the week in Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — It’s a blustery Monday in the capital with wind gusts of up to 50 km/hour expected throughout the day.

Environment Canada is forecasting a high of 4 C with a 60 per cent chance of showers or flurries before the wind dies down later this evening.

There’s a chance of flurries on Tuesday as well with a high of -1 C. The overnight low will dip to an unseasonal -9 C.  

Wednesday’s high will be just -5 C with lots of sunshine.

Seasonal temperatures return for the rest of the week..

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending