Connect with us

Buzz

Riot police deployed at DRC electoral body before vote result | News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Riot police deployed at the electoral commission headquarters in Kinshasa on Wednesday amid fears of a disputed result in Democratic Republic of Congo‘s presidential election marked by accusations of vote fraud.

The tally could be announced later in the day after the commission (CENI) met all night and into the morning.

Police also took up positions along the city’s main boulevard, as Congolese feared about possible violence amid suspicions that President Joseph Kabila‘s government was negotiating a power-sharing deal with one opposition candidate.

The December 30 poll was meant to lead to the vast central African country’s first democratic transfer of power in its 59 years of independence, but a disputed result could trigger the kind of violence that erupted after the 2006 and 2011 elections and destabilise Congo’s volatile eastern borderlands.

In Pretoria, South African President Cyril Ramaphosate and his Zambian counterpart Edgar Lungu met on Wednesday and urged CENI to speedily release the results to maintain stability.

Last week, South Africa, long a Kabila ally, joined with Russia and China at the UN Security Council to block the release of a statement proposed by France that would have welcomed the holding of the vote but criticised the government’s decision to cut access to the internet and some media outlets.

The election commission announced on Tuesday evening it had initiated “a series of evaluation meetings and deliberations, at the end of which it will proceed to the publication of provisional results from the presidential election”.

A CENI source and a diplomat said they expected results to be announced later on Wednesday. Another diplomat, however, said that not all the vote tallying had been completed and that the announcement might have to wait until Thursday.

Kabila is due to leave office this month after 18 years in power – and two years after the official end of his mandate. He backed his former interior minister, Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, in the election.

Shadary was competing against two main opposition candidates, businessman Martin Fayulu and Felix Tshisekedi, the president of Congo’s largest opposition party.

Tshisekedi’s camp, which says it expects to win, said on Tuesday that it had met with Kabila’s representatives to ensure a peaceful transfer of power, although Kabila’s camp denied any such meetings had occurred.

Supporters of Fayulu, who had a healthy pre-election poll lead, have voiced suspicions that Kabila may be looking to negotiate a power-sharing agreement with Tshisekedi if Shadary loses.

On Tuesday, Fayulu and six other presidential candidates issued a statement saying that the results “cannot be negotiated”.

Domestic election observers say they witnessed serious irregularities on election day and during vote tallying, although a regional observer mission said the election went “relatively well”.


SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Bride calls off wedding after discovering fiancé made ‘sexist’ demand to her dad

Editor

Published

on

By

A bride made the devastating decision to cancel her wedding to her partner of seven years after her dad revealed the ‘sexist’ demand his family had made behind her back.

The dad says his daughter got engaged recently and he had always been fond of her fiancé, who he thought of as “kind, humble and always respectful to our family”.

However, he says when he has met the man’s family for dinner on a couple of occasions, they made remarks towards his daughter which made him feel uncomfortable, including: ‘I don’t know why you’re working, isn’t that the husband’s job? It’s the mother’s job to be taking care of the children’.

As his daughter pair pressed ahead with their plans for the ceremony, the dad says her fiancé arranged a meeting with them both and his parents, adding that his daughter couldn’t be involved.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Gordon Ramsay’s £20 ‘preselected’ cheese board labelled ‘insulting’ by furious customer

Editor

Published

on

By

Gordon Ramsay has sparked outrage once again as a customer complained that a cheese board he received at one of the celebrity chef’s restaurants was “insulting” and “preselected”.

Previously, Gordon was slammed for the size of his steak and chips, was told to “get a grip” for the price of his fry-up and criticised for the roast which was compared to a ‘child’s portion’.

But the latest customer to be disappointed by the TV chef’s food was Simon, who visited the three Michelin star restaurant with friends, Daily Star reports.

Simon was ‘insulted’ after receiving a “preselected” cheese board, and took to TripAdvisor to leave a two-star review.

Their review said: “I visited GR hospital road on a Friday night with friends for a special treat.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Mum shares tip to fit three pizzas on one oven shelf to make family cooking easy

Editor

Published

on

By

Cooking pizzas for the whole family should be quick and easy dinner option – but it usually also throws up a headache.

With only one small oven to get the job done, we have to decide between either cooking one at a time and eating separately, or attempting to rotate them every few minutes to cook them evenly.

But one mum has revealed a painfully easy solution to get three frozen pizzas on one shelf, giving her room to put chips on a tray below – and you’ll wonder why your brain has never come up with the solution itself.

Posting on the Family Lockdown Tips & Ideas Facebook group, the mum demonstrated how she cuts the frozen pizzas in half before arranging them all on a single oven rack, making use of all available space.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending