Connect with us

Buzz

Bermuda Triangle SHOCK: Brit ship TWICE Titanic’s size ‘DISAPPEARED’ in new hotspot | Weird | News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

The Bermuda Triangle is a loosely-defined region in the western part of the North Atlantic Ocean, where a number of aircraft and vessels are said to have disappeared under mysterious circumstances. However, it may not be the only of its kind.  The Devil’s Sea, also known as the Dragon’s Triangle, is a region of the Pacific Ocean, near Japan, which has hundreds of its own paranormal tales. 

In 1980, the unforgiving waters claimed a huge British ship – The Derbyshire – after it left Quebec, Canada, and headed towards Japan. 

The British vessel, was around 230 miles from Okinawa, Japan, when it mysteriously vanished, it was revealed on Amazon Prime’s “The Devil’s Sea” documentary.

The 2003 documentary revealed: “On September 9, 1980, carrying 150,000 tonnes of iron ore off the coast of Japan, the Derbyshire and her entire crew disappeared.

“It was the largest British ship lost at sea and no one can explain why.“

The ship was only four years old and never issued a Mayday distress message during the incident. 

It wasn’t until 14 years later, in June 1994, the wreck of the Derbyshire was found at a depth of 4km, spread over 1.3km. 

An additional expedition spent over 40 days photographing and examining the debris field looking for evidence of what sank the ship.

It was decided the most likely theory was the waves crashing over the front of the ship had sheared off the covers of small ventilation pipes near the bow.

Over the next 30 hours, seawater had potentially entered through the exposed pipes into the forward section of the ship, causing the bow to slowly ride lower and lower in the water. 

Eventually, the bow may have been completely exposed to the full force of the rough waves which caused the hatch on the first cargo hold to buckle inward allowing hundreds of tonnes of water to enter.

As the ship started to sink, the second, then third hatches could have failed, dragging the ship underwater.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Ottawa families give mixed reviews for online schooling

Editor

Published

on

By

So, how’s it going with online school? Families reached by CBC Ottawa seem to have mixed reviews. 

Masuma Khan is a mother of two. Her seven-year-old, Hana Wyndham in Grade 2, is attending French immersion virtual school. Masuma is grateful it’s an option, but can’t help notice a lot of down time.

“There’s a lot of, ‘are you on mute?’ In terms of the amount of learning that’s actually happening, it does seem to be not that high,” said Masuma.

Parents who kept their children at home this fall are in the minority, but they still form a significant chunk of families in Ottawa.

In the city’s largest school board, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB), about 27 per cent of elementary students and 22 per cent of high school students chose online learning. The Ottawa Catholic School Board says roughly a quarter of its students are online.

For Masuma, the decision to keep her daughter home was complex: extended family members are immunocompromised and she worried the in-person learning environment would be unpleasant because of precautions. She also felt her daughter might benefit from being supported at home.

“She doesn’t necessarily enjoy school. I also found out during the pandemic that she was being bullied [last year],” said Masuma. “So I thought, why not try from home?”

To help her daughter socialize face-to-face with other kids, Masuma enrolled Hana in Baxter Forest School, an alternative education program where kids spend most of their time outside, one day a week. Hana also attends virtual Arabic classes two days a week after school. 

Masuma’s husband and Hana share the living room work space, and Masuma admits he does the lion’s share of helping their daughter stay on task. There is a possibility that he’ll be required to return to his office in the new year.

“When he goes back to work … it’s probably going to be a little bit more difficult.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

No school closures after Christmas holiday break, says Ontario education minister

Editor

Published

on

By

Ontario elementary and secondary schools will not close for an extended winter break, says Education Minister Stephen Lecce.

Closures aren’t needed given Ontario’s “strong safety protocols, low levels of (COVID-19) transmission and safety within our schools,” Lecce announced Wednesday afternoon. He said he had consulted with Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and the province’s public health measures advisory table.

That ended speculation about school buildings remaining closed in January for a period of time after the Christmas break.

Earlier in the week, Lecce told reporters the government was considering having students spend “some period out of class” in January, perhaps switching to online learning.

In a statement, Lecce said that even though rates of community transmission of COVID-19 are increasing, “schools have been remarkably successful at minimizing outbreaks to ensure that our kids stay safe and learning in their classrooms.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

Windy start to the week in Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — It’s a blustery Monday in the capital with wind gusts of up to 50 km/hour expected throughout the day.

Environment Canada is forecasting a high of 4 C with a 60 per cent chance of showers or flurries before the wind dies down later this evening.

There’s a chance of flurries on Tuesday as well with a high of -1 C. The overnight low will dip to an unseasonal -9 C.  

Wednesday’s high will be just -5 C with lots of sunshine.

Seasonal temperatures return for the rest of the week..

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending