Connect with us

Buzz

DRC presidential runner-up Fayulu asks court to cancel result | Elections 2018 News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Martin Fayulu, who came second in the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s (DRC) presidential election last month, has appealed to the Constitutional Court to cancel the provisional result.

“The request seeks the annulment of the result declaring Felix Tshisekedi president,” his lawyer Feli Ekombe told reporters outside the court on Saturday.

Fayulu’s camp has accused the declared winner, opposition candidate Felix Tshisekedi, of making a secret deal with outgoing President Joseph Kabila.

“You can’t manufacture results behind closed doors,” Fayulu said in front of a crowd of his supporters.

“I am hoping that the constitutional court will call the electoral commission to recount the ballot papers. “They are false, fabricated, nothing to do with the truth. The truth has to come from the recount of the ballot paper.”






WATCH: UN urges DR Congo to refrain from violence after election result (2:01)

Tshisekedi’s victory shocked pollsters and was immediately disputed by the opposition and Western powers.

The influential Catholic Church also rejected the official result, based on tallies by its 40,000-strong observer team.

“The results as published do not match the data collected by our own observation mission,” Marcel Utembi, the head of the country’s National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) said.

“We have a recommendation: To publish as quickly as possible all the records and minutes from the counties and the polling stations to allow candidates to compare”.

‘All eyes on the court’

The DRC has been tense in recent days with rising violence across the country fuelling fears of a breakdown of law and order, similar to the violence that broke out in the central African country after the 2006 and 2011 elections.

There have been isolated incidents of post-election violence around the nation of 80 million people, and on Friday, police confronted opposition protesters in the eastern city of Goma, killing at least one person.

Al Jazeera’s Haru Mutasa, reporting from DRC capital Kinshasa, said judges were expected to meet early next week to go over the supposed evidence that claims Fayulu won the election.

“If the judges feel there is no case they will throw the matter out. Felix Tshisekedi will be declared the Presdient-Elect and will be sworn in on January 18.

“If that happens, some people fear Fayulu could tell his supporters to go onto the streets and there could be an escalation violence. Not just in Kinshasa but elsewhere around the country. So alot of people are calling on the Congolese people to remain calm.

“But all eyes will be on the court when they do meet, and alot of people will be wondering how independent they are going to be”.






‘No revenge’: Martin Fayulu on DRC elections and corruption | Talk To Al Jazeera


SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Bride calls off wedding after discovering fiancé made ‘sexist’ demand to her dad

Editor

Published

on

By

A bride made the devastating decision to cancel her wedding to her partner of seven years after her dad revealed the ‘sexist’ demand his family had made behind her back.

The dad says his daughter got engaged recently and he had always been fond of her fiancé, who he thought of as “kind, humble and always respectful to our family”.

However, he says when he has met the man’s family for dinner on a couple of occasions, they made remarks towards his daughter which made him feel uncomfortable, including: ‘I don’t know why you’re working, isn’t that the husband’s job? It’s the mother’s job to be taking care of the children’.

As his daughter pair pressed ahead with their plans for the ceremony, the dad says her fiancé arranged a meeting with them both and his parents, adding that his daughter couldn’t be involved.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Gordon Ramsay’s £20 ‘preselected’ cheese board labelled ‘insulting’ by furious customer

Editor

Published

on

By

Gordon Ramsay has sparked outrage once again as a customer complained that a cheese board he received at one of the celebrity chef’s restaurants was “insulting” and “preselected”.

Previously, Gordon was slammed for the size of his steak and chips, was told to “get a grip” for the price of his fry-up and criticised for the roast which was compared to a ‘child’s portion’.

But the latest customer to be disappointed by the TV chef’s food was Simon, who visited the three Michelin star restaurant with friends, Daily Star reports.

Simon was ‘insulted’ after receiving a “preselected” cheese board, and took to TripAdvisor to leave a two-star review.

Their review said: “I visited GR hospital road on a Friday night with friends for a special treat.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Mum shares tip to fit three pizzas on one oven shelf to make family cooking easy

Editor

Published

on

By

Cooking pizzas for the whole family should be quick and easy dinner option – but it usually also throws up a headache.

With only one small oven to get the job done, we have to decide between either cooking one at a time and eating separately, or attempting to rotate them every few minutes to cook them evenly.

But one mum has revealed a painfully easy solution to get three frozen pizzas on one shelf, giving her room to put chips on a tray below – and you’ll wonder why your brain has never come up with the solution itself.

Posting on the Family Lockdown Tips & Ideas Facebook group, the mum demonstrated how she cuts the frozen pizzas in half before arranging them all on a single oven rack, making use of all available space.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending