Connect with us

Health

Code orange: ‘Human tragedy’ of fatal bus crash tests staff at Ottawa Hospital

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

It didn’t take long for staff at the Ottawa Hospital to learn something terrible had happened at Westboro station late Friday afternoon.

After initial reports started trickling in through social media about a double-decker OC Transpo bus crashing into a bus shelter, officials called paramedics to find out what, exactly, was going on.

Emergency responders confirmed there had already been fatalities and asked hospital staff to prepare for the incoming wounded.

“When they were able to confirm that we had at least five critical patients that would be coming, and possibly over 12, that’s when we made the decision to call the code orange,” said Dr. Guy Hébert, the head of the Ottawa Hospital’s emergency medicine department, who was on duty that day.

In the end, the hospital treated 18 patients — 12 at the Civic campus and six at the General campus.

“We were indeed able to confirm that that was the largest number that we had ever received,” Hébert said.

Another look at the damage after Friday’s crash. (@karinawieser/Twitter)

At the moment the code orange was declared, the Civic campus was already treating 100 patients, 24 others had been admitted and were waiting for beds, and the waiting room was busy.

A typical trauma centre can handle about three to four seriously injured patients at any given moment, but doctors knew that this time, there would be more.

“We knew bad things were coming in, and we were getting ready to work together to save lives,” said Dr. Andrew Willmore, the Ottawa Hospital’s medical director of emergency management, who was in Texas for a conference when the crash happened.

Accommodations had to be made, and fast.

The Ottawa Hospital called a ‘Code Orange’ on Friday to get all hands on deck to treat patients from the bus crash. 8:23

Resuscitation bays cleared

“What a code orange does is it allows us to create the space in which we can actually treat patients. We move patients and clear our resuscitation bays,” Willmore told CBC Radio’s Ottawa Morning on Monday.

“It realigns the way the hospital functions to really support the emergency department, and rapidly increases the number of staff available to look after patients.”

By about 4:20 p.m., the Ottawa Hospital had eight resuscitation bays fully staffed and ready for treatment, with as many as 150 medical staff standing by, waiting to snap into action.

Dr. Andrew Willmore of the Ottawa Hospital said staff declared a code orange not long after a double-decker OC Transpo bus slammed into a Westboro station bus shelter on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019. (Ashley Burke/CBC News)

Paramedics called the hospitals in advance, letting them know the age of each patient, their injuries, vital signs and estimated arrival time.

“As they rolled through the door, we were able to immediately assign them to a trauma team. Every single patient that came through our doors were immediately, within the first 15 seconds, at the bedside, surrounded by a dozen people to begin the assessment and treatments,” Hébert said.

Cases involved ‘every organ system’ 

Every patient was dealing with blunt-force trauma, Willmore said.

“With the speed at which the bus collided, it affected pretty much every organ system in these patients. From head to toe, there were multiple injuries and multiple different organ systems affected in each one of those patients,” he said.

There were head injuries, chest injuries, pelvic injuries, abdominal injuries, spinal injuries and “a whole slew of different kinds of … injuries to the arms and legs,” Hébert added.

Some amputations had to be performed, he confirmed, and the hospital quickly exceeded its supply of special equipment to treat limbs. Other hospitals stepped in to lend what was needed.

“This is something that we’ve rehearsed before. We have regular training to prepare for these kinds of events. We’re no strangers to difficult situations … but this is something that we don’t deal with on a regular day-to-day basis, so there was definitely a level of intensity to the initial preparation of this,” Willmore said.

As of Monday morning, every patient in critical condition had been upgraded to serious or stable condition, but the work isn’t over yet.

Many patients have required additional surgeries, Willmore said.

Flowers and cards are being left at Westboro station after Friday’s crash. One of the handwritten cards reads, ‘Words are not enough, but you are in our thoughts + prayers.’ (David Richard/CBC)

As the dust settles at the hospital, those involved in Friday’s response have time to reflect.

“It’s afterwards, when it all sort of sinks in, when the human side of things start to hit us, start to hit home, there’s no question that what we saw was quite graphic and quite heartwrenching. It can’t help but affect us in a significant way,” Hébert said.

“It makes us think about how fragile is life, and how an event like this can happen all of a sudden and be so life-changing. We as caregivers are naturally empathetic to that, and naturally we see this kind of human tragedy so often in our day-to-day, and it can’t help but impact us.”

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Health

Herbal remedies: Saw palmetto for hair loss prevention

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) Saw palmetto is a small, shrub-like palm endemic to the United States. Known for its medicinal properties, saw palmetto has been used for centuries to treat reproductive issues and hormonal imbalance.

Today, saw palmetto is used as an ingredient in many hair growth products and supplements, as it is thought to prevent hair loss. This could be due to saw palmetto’s influence on the hormones that dictate hair growth.

Saw palmetto for hair loss

There is evidence to suggest that saw palmetto can help treat hair loss and prevent its occurrence. According to a 2012 study, saw palmetto could inhibit 5-alpha reductase (5-AR). 5-AR converts testosterone, a male sex hormone, into a more potent hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Research shows that high levels of DHT can shrink hair follicles and result in hair loss. DHT also makes it harder for hair follicles to grow new hair once the old hairs fall out. By inhibiting 5-AR, saw palmetto blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT.

In another 2012 study, researchers evaluated the effects of saw palmetto supplementation in men with mild or moderate androgenetic alopecia, or male-pattern baldness. One group received 320 milligrams (mg) of saw palmetto every day for two years, while another group took one mg of finasteride, a conventional drug used to treat hair loss.

The results showed that 38 percent of participants who supplemented with saw palmetto experienced improvements in hair growth, compared to 68 percent of those who supplemented with finasteride.

While the experiment showed that finasteride was more effective, the researchers noted that saw palmetto may be less likely to work in people with more severe cases of hair loss. More research is needed to confirm this.

Saw palmetto is available in several forms, including oral supplements and hair care products like conditioners and shampoos.

Due to limited research on the use of saw palmetto for hair loss, there is no official recommended dosage for it. That said, a study published in the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery cited a recommended dosage of 160 mg twice daily for saw palmetto tablets. Researchers often use this dosage when studying with saw palmetto.

Take note that saw palmetto has been reported to sometimes cause mild side effects, such as headaches and stomachaches. If in doubt about using saw palmetto, consult a natural health practitioner.

Other natural remedies for hair loss

Hair growth depends on several factors, including a person’s genetic makeup. Still, some home remedies might help prevent hair loss and/or encourage hair growth. These remedies include:

  • Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil helps nourish hair follicles without leaving any residue behind. It also stimulates hair cells to grow faster.
  • Aloe vera – Aloe vera helps get rid of sebum buildup in the scalp. Sebum is a natural oil that helps keep the scalp moisturized. It can build up on the scalp and clog hair follicles due to poor hair hygiene.
  • Garlic – The pungent compounds in garlic help increase blood circulation in the scalp, which stimulates hair growth. These compounds also stimulate the synthesis of collagen, a protein that gives structure to hair.
  • Onion – Like garlic, onions boost blood flow in the scalp for better hair growth.
  • Licorice root – Licorice root helps relieve dry and irritated scalp. It also strengthens weak follicles.
  • Rosemary oil – Rosemary oil has antiseptic properties. It is ideal for treating scalp issues that slow hair growth, such as dandruff and bacterial infections.
  • Coconut milk – Coconut milk helps moisturize a dry scalp, which is a leading cause of hair loss.
  • Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar works as a clarifying agent, ridding the scalp of extra sebum and other residues that can clog hair follicles and inhibit hair growth.

Some hair loss is natural. But for mild to moderate cases of hair loss, it might help to use herbal remedies, such as saw palmetto, to strengthen hair or encourage hair growth.

Continue Reading

Health

Scientist that condemned coronavirus lab leak theory admits he squashed it to protect Chinese scientists

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) An American scientist who criticized theories that the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) might have accidentally escaped or leaked from a Chinese laboratory has admitted that he was denouncing the idea in order to protect Chinese scientists.

Dr. Peter Daszak, the president of the EcoHealth Alliance, a New York-based nongovernmental organization that conducts scientific and policy research regarding emerging diseases, led an endeavor in February 2020 to quash any kind of suspicion that COVID-19 might have accidentally escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a research and academic institution supported by the Chinese state.

This culminated in a statement published in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet that condemned the “conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 doesn’t have a natural origin.”

The Lancet article was written during the very early stages of the global pandemic, during a time when there wasn’t any kind of rigorous research on the origins of the virus.

Daszak further reiterated his support for China in a statement released on Feb. 6, stating that he stands with other scientists to “strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that 2019-nCoV does not have a natural origin. Scientific evidence overwhelmingly suggests that this virus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging diseases.”

In June, Daszak also wrote an opinion piece for the Guardian titled: “Ignore the conspiracy theories: scientists know COVID-19 wasn’t created in a lab.”

But on Friday, Jan. 15, Daszak’s spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal that his statement, which has been used to silence anybody with a dissenting opinion regarding the origins of the coronavirus, was published to protect Chinese scientists from criticism.

The Lancet letter was written during a time in which Chinese scientists were receiving death threats and the letter was intended as a showing of support for them as they were caught between important work trying to stop an outbreak and the crush of online harassment.”

WHO team heads to Wuhan to probe virus origin

The situation surrounding Daszak’s initial statements and his sudden retraction are being compounded by the fact that the doctor is part of an international 15-member team of experts sent by the World Health Organization (WHO)to Wuhan to figure out the origins of the coronavirus.

According to the WHO, the team’s official mission is to determine how, where and when the virus crossed from animals to humans.

Daszak has been tweeting about the mandatory quarantine period he and his team are going through. During day four of quarantine, he said that the day, like the previous days, is “packed” with virtual meetings.

Day 6 of quarantine lockdown in Wuhan & it’s that special time for our friendly health care workers to swab for our PCR tests – they go deep, but they’re very cheerful about it. Xie xie! pic.twitter.com/QvKzgC0Lng

— Peter Daszak (@PeterDaszak) January 20, 2021

Peter Ben Embarek, team leader and WHO food safety and animal diseases expert, said that the team will be granted permission “to move around and meet our Chinese counterparts in person and go to the different sites that we want to visit,” once they’re done with the mandatory quarantine period.

It is unclear whether the WHO team will be looking into the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the theory that the coronavirus was engineered. Embarek has stated his desire to visit the “famous Wuhan market” to try and determine “everything that went in and out” of there in the weeks before the first confirmed cases.

Embarek is referring to the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, where many wild animals were often sold. This place is being investigated as a likely setting for the supposed “animal-to-human jump” of the coronavirus, or a place where that jump was accelerated.

“We know the virus originated in bats at some point, and then we know that human cases appeared in Wuhan in December 2019,” said Embarek. “But what happened in between, how many other animal species were involved in between, and where, remain to be found in more detail.”

“We don’t really know what happened in that period of time, and that’s what we are looking out for.”

Questions will remain regarding the role of the institute in the initial outbreak; questions that will continue to linger if WHO team does not conduct its investigation.

Then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo even said that the government has reason to believe that several researchers working for the institute “became sick in autumn 2019, before the first identified case of the outbreak, with symptoms consistent with both COVID-19 and common seasonal illnesses.”

Pompeo said that this calls into question the claims made by Shi Zhengli, the institute’s senior researcher on bat-related viruses, that there had been “zero [COVID-19 or SARS-related] infection” among the institute’s student body and staff.

Pompeo noted that the possibility of an “accidental infection” in a lab is more likely than people might think, especially considering that such an incident has already occurred in China. In 2004, a SARS outbreak in Beijing that infected nine people and killed one originated in a research facility.

Continue Reading

Health

California healthcare workers suffer severe allergic reactions following coronavirus vaccination

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) Six healthcare workers suffered allergic reactions after getting a shot of Moderna coronavirus vaccine in San Diego, California. Their symptoms were considered severe and required medical attention.

The doses administered to the six healthcare workers were part of the Moderna Lot 041L20A distributed to 287 providers across the state earlier this month. That batch of shipment, which arrived in California between Jan. 5 and Jan. 12, is composed of 330,000 shots.

Moderna said in a statement that it is cooperating with California’s health department to investigate the allergic reactions.

“Moderna acknowledges receiving a report from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) that a number of individuals at one vaccination center were treated for possible allergic reactions after vaccination from one lot of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine,” the statement read. “The company is fully cooperating with CDPH in investigating these reported adverse events.”

Dr. Erica Pan, California’s state epidemiologist, said Sunday, Jan. 17, that providers should err on the side of caution and stop using the doses until federal, state and company officials finish an investigation.

“Out of an extreme abundance of caution and also recognizing the extremely limited supply of vaccine, we are recommending that providers use other available vaccine inventory and pause the administration of vaccines from Moderna Lot 041L20A until the investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Moderna and the state is complete,” she said.

Monterey, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz have already paused distribution while two Covid-19 vaccine clinics have been canceled in Stanislaus County following the allergic reaction reports.

The delay was a huge blow to California’s vaccine distribution efforts. California currently has the second highest number of coronavirus cases per capita in the United States, with Los Angeles being a particular hotspot.

All cases of apparent allergic reactions occurred at San Diego County’s drive-through mass vaccination site at Petco Park. No other providers have reported allergic reactions to vaccines administered from the same batch of doses.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending