Connect with us

Health

Lametti appointment raises hope for less restrictive assisted dying law

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

OTTAWA — The appointment of David Lametti as Canada’s new justice minister has given new hope to those who believe the Trudeau government’s law on medically assisted dying is too restrictive.

Lametti was one of just four Liberal MPs who voted against the government’s 2016 legislation that made it legal for incurably ill Canadians to get medical help to end their suffering — provided they are already near death and meet other strict criteria.

In a Facebook post to his Montreal constituents at the time, Lametti expressed concern that the law was too restrictive and would not meet the eligibility criteria set out by the Supreme Court in a landmark 2015 ruling that struck down the prohibition on assisted death.

“As a professor of law in Canada for 20 years and a member of two Canadian Bars, I also worry about passing legislation that is at serious risk of being found to be unconstitutional. On these grounds, I was not able to give it my vote in good conscience,” he wrote.

In a cabinet shuffle Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau plucked Lametti from the backbenches to take over Justice from Jody Wilson-Raybould, who introduced the assisted dying law and who has resolutely rejected calls for changes even in the face of anguished pleas from grievously ill Canadians.

“We’re not considering changing something in the legislation,” Wilson-Raybould said in November, rejecting a deathbed plea for changes from Audrey Parker, a Halifax woman with terminal breast cancer.

“We’re confident in the legislation that we brought forward, that it finds the right balance in terms of being able to access medical assistance in dying, protecting the autonomy of individuals to make the appropriate decisions for themselves as well as protecting vulnerable individuals.”

Parker, whose cancer had spread to her brain, opted to end her life earlier than she wanted because she feared she’d eventually lose the mental competence required to receive an assisted death.

Given his previously stated views, Shanaaz Gokool, president of Dying with Dignity Canada, is hopeful Lametti might be more receptive to Parker’s plea.

“Our hope is for the country that the new justice minister will follow through on what he’s already said and what he already knows that (the law) doesn’t do enough for the most vulnerable people,” she said in an interview.

With only five months left before campaigning begins in earnest for the Oct. 21 federal election, it’s doubtful the Trudeau government has the time or inclination in the next few months to address the three big issues that were left unresolved when the law was passed: whether to extend the right to an assisted death to mature minors and those suffering strictly from mental disorders; and whether to allow people who fear losing mental capacity to make advance requests.

But Gokool said the Parker case has shone a spotlight on one aspect of the law that could be changed relatively easily right away — the stipulation that a person must be able to give consent immediately prior to receiving an assisted death.

Parker had been assessed and approved for an assisted death, having given her informed consent and met all the other eligibility requirements. But she felt compelled by the law to take that route sooner than she wanted while she still had the mental capacity to give her consent again in the moments before receiving help to die.

Gokool said she’s encountered many other Canadians who have been similarly forced cut short their final days or who have reduced needed pain medication for fear it will rob them of their capacity to consent. Others, who’ve been approved for an assisted death, have ultimately been denied the service because they couldn’t give last-minute consent.

Dying with Dignity Canada intends to launch a campaign next month to pressure the government to enact “Audrey’s amendment,” changing the law so that someone approved for an assisted death can sign a declaration ensuring they won’t be denied if they lose mental capacity before it is carried out.

“The real question is do we want more Audrey Parkers?” said Gokool. “There’s something so — I think perverse is the word — where we’re putting people who are already eligible, they meet the criteria as it stands … in this sort of situation.”

The Trudeau government’s law allows assisted dying only for consenting adults “in an advanced stage of irreversible decline” from a serious and incurable disease, illness or disability and for whom natural death is “reasonably foreseeable.”

In its 2015 ruling, the Supreme Court suggested a more permissive approach, allowing the procedure for competent adults with “grievous and irremediable” medical conditions that are causing enduring suffering that they find intolerable. The top court did not limit the right to those near death or with terminal illnesses.

Even as Lametti settles in to his new job, courts in Quebec and British Columbia are in the process of hearing constitutional challenges to the law launched by Canadians with degenerative diseases who contend the foreseeable death provision robs them of their right to an assisted death.

Groups representing Christian doctors across the country are also appealing a court ruling that upheld Ontario’s regulation requiring doctors who refuse to provide assistance in dying to refer patients to someone who will perform the service.

Last month, the government received expert reports it had requested from the Council of Canadian Academies on the unresolved matters of mature minors, advance requests and people suffering strictly from mental illnesses. At the government’s instruction, the reports made no recommendations.

The government has yet to issue any detailed response to those reports.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Health

Herbal remedies: Saw palmetto for hair loss prevention

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) Saw palmetto is a small, shrub-like palm endemic to the United States. Known for its medicinal properties, saw palmetto has been used for centuries to treat reproductive issues and hormonal imbalance.

Today, saw palmetto is used as an ingredient in many hair growth products and supplements, as it is thought to prevent hair loss. This could be due to saw palmetto’s influence on the hormones that dictate hair growth.

Saw palmetto for hair loss

There is evidence to suggest that saw palmetto can help treat hair loss and prevent its occurrence. According to a 2012 study, saw palmetto could inhibit 5-alpha reductase (5-AR). 5-AR converts testosterone, a male sex hormone, into a more potent hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Research shows that high levels of DHT can shrink hair follicles and result in hair loss. DHT also makes it harder for hair follicles to grow new hair once the old hairs fall out. By inhibiting 5-AR, saw palmetto blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT.

In another 2012 study, researchers evaluated the effects of saw palmetto supplementation in men with mild or moderate androgenetic alopecia, or male-pattern baldness. One group received 320 milligrams (mg) of saw palmetto every day for two years, while another group took one mg of finasteride, a conventional drug used to treat hair loss.

The results showed that 38 percent of participants who supplemented with saw palmetto experienced improvements in hair growth, compared to 68 percent of those who supplemented with finasteride.

While the experiment showed that finasteride was more effective, the researchers noted that saw palmetto may be less likely to work in people with more severe cases of hair loss. More research is needed to confirm this.

Saw palmetto is available in several forms, including oral supplements and hair care products like conditioners and shampoos.

Due to limited research on the use of saw palmetto for hair loss, there is no official recommended dosage for it. That said, a study published in the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery cited a recommended dosage of 160 mg twice daily for saw palmetto tablets. Researchers often use this dosage when studying with saw palmetto.

Take note that saw palmetto has been reported to sometimes cause mild side effects, such as headaches and stomachaches. If in doubt about using saw palmetto, consult a natural health practitioner.

Other natural remedies for hair loss

Hair growth depends on several factors, including a person’s genetic makeup. Still, some home remedies might help prevent hair loss and/or encourage hair growth. These remedies include:

  • Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil helps nourish hair follicles without leaving any residue behind. It also stimulates hair cells to grow faster.
  • Aloe vera – Aloe vera helps get rid of sebum buildup in the scalp. Sebum is a natural oil that helps keep the scalp moisturized. It can build up on the scalp and clog hair follicles due to poor hair hygiene.
  • Garlic – The pungent compounds in garlic help increase blood circulation in the scalp, which stimulates hair growth. These compounds also stimulate the synthesis of collagen, a protein that gives structure to hair.
  • Onion – Like garlic, onions boost blood flow in the scalp for better hair growth.
  • Licorice root – Licorice root helps relieve dry and irritated scalp. It also strengthens weak follicles.
  • Rosemary oil – Rosemary oil has antiseptic properties. It is ideal for treating scalp issues that slow hair growth, such as dandruff and bacterial infections.
  • Coconut milk – Coconut milk helps moisturize a dry scalp, which is a leading cause of hair loss.
  • Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar works as a clarifying agent, ridding the scalp of extra sebum and other residues that can clog hair follicles and inhibit hair growth.

Some hair loss is natural. But for mild to moderate cases of hair loss, it might help to use herbal remedies, such as saw palmetto, to strengthen hair or encourage hair growth.

Continue Reading

Health

Scientist that condemned coronavirus lab leak theory admits he squashed it to protect Chinese scientists

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) An American scientist who criticized theories that the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) might have accidentally escaped or leaked from a Chinese laboratory has admitted that he was denouncing the idea in order to protect Chinese scientists.

Dr. Peter Daszak, the president of the EcoHealth Alliance, a New York-based nongovernmental organization that conducts scientific and policy research regarding emerging diseases, led an endeavor in February 2020 to quash any kind of suspicion that COVID-19 might have accidentally escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a research and academic institution supported by the Chinese state.

This culminated in a statement published in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet that condemned the “conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 doesn’t have a natural origin.”

The Lancet article was written during the very early stages of the global pandemic, during a time when there wasn’t any kind of rigorous research on the origins of the virus.

Daszak further reiterated his support for China in a statement released on Feb. 6, stating that he stands with other scientists to “strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that 2019-nCoV does not have a natural origin. Scientific evidence overwhelmingly suggests that this virus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging diseases.”

In June, Daszak also wrote an opinion piece for the Guardian titled: “Ignore the conspiracy theories: scientists know COVID-19 wasn’t created in a lab.”

But on Friday, Jan. 15, Daszak’s spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal that his statement, which has been used to silence anybody with a dissenting opinion regarding the origins of the coronavirus, was published to protect Chinese scientists from criticism.

The Lancet letter was written during a time in which Chinese scientists were receiving death threats and the letter was intended as a showing of support for them as they were caught between important work trying to stop an outbreak and the crush of online harassment.”

WHO team heads to Wuhan to probe virus origin

The situation surrounding Daszak’s initial statements and his sudden retraction are being compounded by the fact that the doctor is part of an international 15-member team of experts sent by the World Health Organization (WHO)to Wuhan to figure out the origins of the coronavirus.

According to the WHO, the team’s official mission is to determine how, where and when the virus crossed from animals to humans.

Daszak has been tweeting about the mandatory quarantine period he and his team are going through. During day four of quarantine, he said that the day, like the previous days, is “packed” with virtual meetings.

Day 6 of quarantine lockdown in Wuhan & it’s that special time for our friendly health care workers to swab for our PCR tests – they go deep, but they’re very cheerful about it. Xie xie! pic.twitter.com/QvKzgC0Lng

— Peter Daszak (@PeterDaszak) January 20, 2021

Peter Ben Embarek, team leader and WHO food safety and animal diseases expert, said that the team will be granted permission “to move around and meet our Chinese counterparts in person and go to the different sites that we want to visit,” once they’re done with the mandatory quarantine period.

It is unclear whether the WHO team will be looking into the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the theory that the coronavirus was engineered. Embarek has stated his desire to visit the “famous Wuhan market” to try and determine “everything that went in and out” of there in the weeks before the first confirmed cases.

Embarek is referring to the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, where many wild animals were often sold. This place is being investigated as a likely setting for the supposed “animal-to-human jump” of the coronavirus, or a place where that jump was accelerated.

“We know the virus originated in bats at some point, and then we know that human cases appeared in Wuhan in December 2019,” said Embarek. “But what happened in between, how many other animal species were involved in between, and where, remain to be found in more detail.”

“We don’t really know what happened in that period of time, and that’s what we are looking out for.”

Questions will remain regarding the role of the institute in the initial outbreak; questions that will continue to linger if WHO team does not conduct its investigation.

Then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo even said that the government has reason to believe that several researchers working for the institute “became sick in autumn 2019, before the first identified case of the outbreak, with symptoms consistent with both COVID-19 and common seasonal illnesses.”

Pompeo said that this calls into question the claims made by Shi Zhengli, the institute’s senior researcher on bat-related viruses, that there had been “zero [COVID-19 or SARS-related] infection” among the institute’s student body and staff.

Pompeo noted that the possibility of an “accidental infection” in a lab is more likely than people might think, especially considering that such an incident has already occurred in China. In 2004, a SARS outbreak in Beijing that infected nine people and killed one originated in a research facility.

Continue Reading

Health

California healthcare workers suffer severe allergic reactions following coronavirus vaccination

Editor

Published

on

By

(Natural News) Six healthcare workers suffered allergic reactions after getting a shot of Moderna coronavirus vaccine in San Diego, California. Their symptoms were considered severe and required medical attention.

The doses administered to the six healthcare workers were part of the Moderna Lot 041L20A distributed to 287 providers across the state earlier this month. That batch of shipment, which arrived in California between Jan. 5 and Jan. 12, is composed of 330,000 shots.

Moderna said in a statement that it is cooperating with California’s health department to investigate the allergic reactions.

“Moderna acknowledges receiving a report from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) that a number of individuals at one vaccination center were treated for possible allergic reactions after vaccination from one lot of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine,” the statement read. “The company is fully cooperating with CDPH in investigating these reported adverse events.”

Dr. Erica Pan, California’s state epidemiologist, said Sunday, Jan. 17, that providers should err on the side of caution and stop using the doses until federal, state and company officials finish an investigation.

“Out of an extreme abundance of caution and also recognizing the extremely limited supply of vaccine, we are recommending that providers use other available vaccine inventory and pause the administration of vaccines from Moderna Lot 041L20A until the investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Moderna and the state is complete,” she said.

Monterey, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz have already paused distribution while two Covid-19 vaccine clinics have been canceled in Stanislaus County following the allergic reaction reports.

The delay was a huge blow to California’s vaccine distribution efforts. California currently has the second highest number of coronavirus cases per capita in the United States, with Los Angeles being a particular hotspot.

All cases of apparent allergic reactions occurred at San Diego County’s drive-through mass vaccination site at Petco Park. No other providers have reported allergic reactions to vaccines administered from the same batch of doses.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending