Connect with us

Buzz

Bible news: How Church ‘CONFIRMED Virgin Mary apparition after MIRACLE’ | Weird | News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Saint Bernadette Soubirous, was the first-born daughter of a miller from Lourdes, France. On February 11, 1858, Ms Soubirous is said to have experienced the first of her “Marian apparitions” in a cave at Massabielle, France. She said a “young lady” identified herself as the “Immaculate Conception” and asked that a chapel be built on the site of vision. 

Ms Soubirous, who was aged 14 at the time, said she was out gathering firewood with her sister Marie when the first vision occurred inside the cave.

She revealed how a “dazzling light appeared, followed by a white figure” during the first of 18 visions of what she referred to as “aquero”.

On February 14, after Sunday Mass, Ms Soubirous, with her sister Marie and some other girls, returned to the site

Ms Soubirous knelt down immediately, saying she saw the apparition again falling into a trance, before claiming “the vision” had asked her to return to the cave every day for two weeks.

Following this incident, a period of almost daily visions came to be known as La Quinzaine Sacree, or “holy fortnight” and caused a frenzy in the local town, with some claiming she had a mental illness. 

However, opinions were changed on February 25, when Ms Soubirous said the vision had told her to “drink of the water of the spring, to wash in it and to eat the herb that grew there”.

The next day, the cave was no longer muddy and clear water flowed and many were quick to call it a miracle. 

A month later, on March 25, according to Ms Soubirous’ account, the vision identified herself as the “Immaculate Conception”.

After an investigation, church authorities confirmed the authenticity of the claims in 1862, after “extremely rigorous scientific and medical examinations”.

However, in the 150 years since the claims first came to light, the account has been verified by the Lourdes Medical Bureau as “inexplicable”.

A commission that examined the water of the cave revealed that, while it had a high mineral content, it contained nothing out of the ordinary that would account for the“miracle” attributed to it. 

However, several have discredited the story, claiming that Ms Soubirous fabricated the claims for financial gain. 

By the time the events in the cave were said to have happened, the Soubirous family’s financial and social status had declined to the point where they lived in a one-bedroom basement of a former jail.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Ottawa announces new funding to combat online child abuse

Editor

Published

on

By

Ottawa has announced $22 million in funding to fight online child abuse.

Noting that police-reported incidents of child pornography in Canada increased by 288 per cent between 2010 and 2017, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale made the announcement Tuesday.

It follows a London meeting last week that focused on the exploitation of children between Goodale and his counterparts from the United States, Britain, Australia and New Zealand, collectively known as the Five Eyes intelligence group.

Major internet companies, including Facebook, Google and Microsoft, were also at the meeting and agreed to a set of rules the members of the group proposed to remove child pornography from the internet quicker.

On Tuesday, Goodale warned internet companies they had to be better, faster and more open when in comes to fighting child abuse on line.

In this Friday, Jan. 12, 2018 photo, detectives use the Cellebrite system to extract information from cellphones at the State Police facility in Hamilton Township, N.J. “Operation Safety Net,” the results of which were announced in December, netted 79 people suspected of exploiting children. (Thomas P. Costello/Asbury Park Press/Canadian Press)

“If human harm is done, if a child is terrorized for the rest of their life because of what happened to them on the internet, if there are other damages and costs, then maybe the platform that made that possible should bear the financial consequences,” Goodale said.

The government plan includes $2.1 million to intensify engagement with digital industry to develop new tools online and support effective operating principles, $4.9 million for research, public engagement, awareness and collaboration with non-governmental organizations and $15.25 million to internet child exploitation units in provincial and municipal police forces across the country.

Goodale said the strategy recognizes that technology is “increasingly facilitating the easy borderless access to vast volumes of abhorrent images.”

That, he said, makes investigations increasingly complex,

“This is a race where the course is always getting longer and more complicated and advancing into brand new areas that hadn’t been anticipated five years ago or a year ago or even a week ago,” Goodale said.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Gas prices expected to dip in Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

If you can wait an extra day to fill up the gas tank, your bank account might thank you.

Roger McKnight of Enpro is predicting a five cent dip in gas prices Wednesday night at midnight.

This comes after a four cent drop this past Friday, just ahead of the August long weekend.

McKnight said the reason for the drop, both last week and this week, is due to comments made by US President Donald Trump. 

He says after the drop, the price will be, on average, 118.9 cents/litre in the Ottawa region.

Continue Reading

Buzz

Oka asks Ottawa to freeze Mohawk land deal, send RCMP to Kanesatake

Editor

Published

on

By

The town of Oka is asking the federal and provincial governments to slap a moratorium on a proposed land grant to the local Mohawk community in Kanesatake and to establish an RCMP detachment on the First Nations territory to deal with illegal cannabis sales outlets.

The requests were contained in two resolutions adopted Tuesday night by the Oka town council.

The administration of Oka Mayor Pascal Quevillon held its first public meeting since the start of the controversy that pitted the town council against the Kanesatake band council over a decision by a local promoter to give local lands to the Mohawk community.

The three resolutions are addressed to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government, Quebec Premier François Legault’s government and the Kanesatake band council led by Grand Chief Serge Otsi Simon.

As each resolution was read into the record, Quevillon stressed that the town of Oka was only looking to live in peaceful cohabitation with the Mohawk community.

The town also called upon Ottawa to establish a consultation process that would take into account the concerns of residents in Oka and  Kanesatake.

Quevillon’s administration also wants access to the plans detailing what lands are at the centre of negotiations between the federal government and the Mohawk community for purchase, suggesting the talks are simply a disguised form of expropriation.

“They’re giving money to (the Mohawks) to buy our land and annex it to their territory,” Quevillon said.

Despite its demands, the Oka council adopted an official statement addressed to the Kanesatake band council saying the town’s population wanted dialogue and peaceful cohabitation, with Quevillon citing the 300 years of close links between the two communities.

During the council meeting’s question period, some residents suggested that the council deal with other groups that say they are speaking for Kanesatake, including Mohawk traditionalists. Mayor Quevillon replied that the town would only deal with the band council and did so out of respect for Grand Chief Simon.

The mayor also argued that the RCMP, a federal police force, was best suited to be deployed in Kanesatake, where it would ensure the law would be respected, particularly on the issue of illegal cannabis shops.

Quevillon contended such a deployment was the only way for both communities to work together toward their mutual economic development.

Meanwhile, the apology Grand Chief Simon has said he is expecting from Quevillon for remarks he made earlier this summer about the Mohawk community in Kanesatake does not appear to be coming any time soon.

Asked by a resident if he would apologize, Quevillon left the answer to those citizens who attended the meeting, the vast majority of whom replied, “no.”

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending