Connect with us

Buzz

‘Little to no change’ in North Korean capabilities: US commander | North Korea News

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

Two weeks before a second summit between the leaders of the United States and North Korea, the commander of US forces in South Korea has said he has seen “little to no verifiable change” in Pyongyang’s military capabilities following last year’s first meeting.

US President Donald Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in June 2018 in a bid to resolve tensions over Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.

The landmark summit in Singapore produced a vague commitment from Kim to work toward the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula, where US troops have been stationed since the 1950-53 Korean War. Progress however has stalled with the two sides disagreeing over what Kim’s pledge means. 

General Robert Abrams, the new head of US Forces Korea, said on Tuesday the summit had helped dial down tensions on the Korean peninsula, but had not led to substantive changes.

“Little to no verifiable change has occurred and North Korea’s military capabilities,” Abrams told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“Further, North Korea’s conventional and asymmetric military capabilities along with their continued development of advanced conventional systems remains unchecked. These capabilities continue to hold the United States, the Republic of Korea and our regional allies at risk.”

Abrams added that North Korea was continuing its winter military training at historic norms.

Trump and Kim are set to meet in Vietnam’s capital, Hanoi, from February 27 to 28 for their second summit.

Analysts say tangible progress on denuclearisation will be needed if the talks are to avoid being dismissed as “reality TV.”

After that first summit, Trump called off large-scale joint exercises with South Korea. 

Abrams said “it is necessary to maintain a postured and ready force to deter any possible aggressive actions,” but stressed that the two allied militaries continue to train together at a lower level.

There are currently about 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Buzz

Ottawa families give mixed reviews for online schooling

Editor

Published

on

By

So, how’s it going with online school? Families reached by CBC Ottawa seem to have mixed reviews. 

Masuma Khan is a mother of two. Her seven-year-old, Hana Wyndham in Grade 2, is attending French immersion virtual school. Masuma is grateful it’s an option, but can’t help notice a lot of down time.

“There’s a lot of, ‘are you on mute?’ In terms of the amount of learning that’s actually happening, it does seem to be not that high,” said Masuma.

Parents who kept their children at home this fall are in the minority, but they still form a significant chunk of families in Ottawa.

In the city’s largest school board, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB), about 27 per cent of elementary students and 22 per cent of high school students chose online learning. The Ottawa Catholic School Board says roughly a quarter of its students are online.

For Masuma, the decision to keep her daughter home was complex: extended family members are immunocompromised and she worried the in-person learning environment would be unpleasant because of precautions. She also felt her daughter might benefit from being supported at home.

“She doesn’t necessarily enjoy school. I also found out during the pandemic that she was being bullied [last year],” said Masuma. “So I thought, why not try from home?”

To help her daughter socialize face-to-face with other kids, Masuma enrolled Hana in Baxter Forest School, an alternative education program where kids spend most of their time outside, one day a week. Hana also attends virtual Arabic classes two days a week after school. 

Masuma’s husband and Hana share the living room work space, and Masuma admits he does the lion’s share of helping their daughter stay on task. There is a possibility that he’ll be required to return to his office in the new year.

“When he goes back to work … it’s probably going to be a little bit more difficult.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

No school closures after Christmas holiday break, says Ontario education minister

Editor

Published

on

By

Ontario elementary and secondary schools will not close for an extended winter break, says Education Minister Stephen Lecce.

Closures aren’t needed given Ontario’s “strong safety protocols, low levels of (COVID-19) transmission and safety within our schools,” Lecce announced Wednesday afternoon. He said he had consulted with Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and the province’s public health measures advisory table.

That ended speculation about school buildings remaining closed in January for a period of time after the Christmas break.

Earlier in the week, Lecce told reporters the government was considering having students spend “some period out of class” in January, perhaps switching to online learning.

In a statement, Lecce said that even though rates of community transmission of COVID-19 are increasing, “schools have been remarkably successful at minimizing outbreaks to ensure that our kids stay safe and learning in their classrooms.”

Continue Reading

Buzz

Windy start to the week in Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — It’s a blustery Monday in the capital with wind gusts of up to 50 km/hour expected throughout the day.

Environment Canada is forecasting a high of 4 C with a 60 per cent chance of showers or flurries before the wind dies down later this evening.

There’s a chance of flurries on Tuesday as well with a high of -1 C. The overnight low will dip to an unseasonal -9 C.  

Wednesday’s high will be just -5 C with lots of sunshine.

Seasonal temperatures return for the rest of the week..

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending