Connect with us

Headlines

Wilson-Raybould asked to testify on SNC-Lavalin; PM faces calls for new probes

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

OTTAWA – The former cabinet minister who is at the centre of the ongoing SNC-Lavalin affair has been invited to testify on the allegations of PMO interference, as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau faces new calls from the opposition in both the House and Senate to launch new lines of inquiry into the allegations.

This development came on Tuesday, just a day after the resignation of his closest adviser, Gerald Butts.

It was the first day that Parliament has been in session since the scandal broke, and the opposition Conservatives and New Democrats came armed with multiple lines of attack after proclaiming that many key questions remain unanswered – especially after Monday’s high-profile resignation of Butts, Trudeau’s principal secretary.

Butts, a longtime friend of the prime minister, has denied the allegations that he or anyone in the Prime Minister’s Office pressured Jody Wilson-Raybould — who was the attorney general at the time — to have federal prosecutors pursue a remediation agreement rather than criminal prosecution in the corruption and fraud case against the Quebec engineering and construction giant.

The ongoing scandal continues to develop rapidly, and question period was completely dominated by questions about SNC-Lavalin, Butts’ resignation, and Wilson-Raybould’s involvement.

Facing the barrage of opposition questions today and calls to “let her speak,” Trudeau said that his government “has always and will always stand up for the institutions and the principals that underlie the strength of our democracy,” to the tune of heckles from the other side.

Wilson-Raybould surprised some by showing up on the Hill today, and taking her seat on the government’s front bench. While she did not answer any questions in the Commons, despite being referenced in many, she did speak briefly to reporters after an unanticipated meeting with her former ministerial colleagues.

Her meeting with cabinet was a request Trudeau said she made as part of an extended meeting, the first since she resigned exactly a week ago.

During her post-meeting remarks, Wilson-Raybould confirmed she remains a member of the Liberal caucus but would not say whether she was pressured by the PMO, citing ongoing consultation with her legal counsel.

To date Wilson-Raybould has cited solicitor-client privilege, given she was the former lawyer to the government, as the reason she has been unable to comment either to confirm or deny any of the allegations that have arisen before and after her resignation from cabinet last week.

Justice Minister David Lametti confirmed on Tuesday that Trudeau has asked him for legal advice about potentially waiving solicitor-client privilege in this case, as he has been repeatedly asked to do. Lametti said that his advice will be given to Trudeau “in due course.”

justin trudeau

House committee invites Wilson-Raybould

In an about-face from their stance less than a week ago, the Liberal MPs on the House Justice Committee voted in favour of calling Wilson-Raybould to testify as part of its study of the ongoing SNC-Lavalin affair and alleged PMO political interference. Though, they once again shot down the prospect of calling anyone from the PMO, or Butts, to appear.

During a closed-door meeting to discuss next steps for its probe on Tuesday afternoon the committee supported a motion from Liberal MP Iqra Khalid to invite Wilson-Raybould to appear.

The committee has also agreed to invite a few academics to participate in the study who were not already on the witness list. It has also added additional hours for meetings, so it will be meeting on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, and next Monday.

It was not immediately clear how soon Wilson-Raybould will appear, should she agree to, though it would likely be before next week, said chair and Liberal MP Anthony Housefather.

Housefather vowed to refrain from any partisan commentary while the study is going on, after he had to apologize last week for floating Wilson-Raybould was shuffled because she didn’t speak French.

Last week’s meeting saw the Liberal majority vote to limit the scope and witness list of its study into the case and the broader surrounding legal principles in a way that the opposition has characterized as a “cover-up.”

The opposition parties wanted to have the committee hear testimony from Wilson-Raybould and other key figures in the Prime Minister’s Office. Instead the only witnesses they’d agreed to hear from initially were Lametti, his deputy minister at Justice Canada, and Clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick.

Conservatives on the committee tried again Tuesday to get approval for their full desired witness list that includes several others who are believed to be at the centre of this affair, including Butts, senior advisor to the Prime Minister Mathieu Bouchard, and former ministerial Chief of Staff to Wilson-Raybould, Jessica Prince. That was unsuccessful.

Deputy Conservative Leader Lisa Raitt said she is very disappointed that no one from the PMO has been asked to testify. “Especially given that Mr. Butts yesterday gave a blanket denial, surely he must be tested on his denial that he gave so freely yesterday. Why wouldn’t they want him to come to the justice committee to speak about it, especially given we’re going to be doing this over such a short period of time,” Raitt said.

The question for the opposition now is, whether Wilson-Raybould will actually be able to speak, or will have to continuously cite solicitor-client privilege.

“We don’t know if she’ll have both hands tied behind her back or simply one,” said NDP vice-chair Murray Rankin.

Following Wilson-Raybould’s testimony the committee will meet to discuss next steps, said Liberal MP and committee member Randy Boissonnault, who last week said that the committee did not have the resources to conduct a full investigation and called the Tory approach a “witch hunt.”

“We want to hear from Ms. Jody Wilson-Raybould,” he said Tuesday.

West Block Commons

House, Senate requests to dig deeper

In the Senate, which resumed its full sitting for the first time this year, Conservative Senator Larry Smith has presented a motion calling on the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee to invite Trudeau, Wilson-Raybould, Lametti, Butts, the prime minister’s Chief of Staff Katie Telford, and senior adviser Mathieu Bourchard to appear as witnesses, and to submit a final report no later than June 1.

It is yet to be seen whether the Conservatives in the Senate will have support from enough of the contingent of Independent senators to have this request granted.

In the House, the NDP tabled an opposition day motion on the SNC-Lavalin affair, calling for the government to launch an independent public inquiry, similar to the commission that occurred as part of the Liberal sponsorship scandal in the early 2000s.

The motion also implores the prime minister to waive solicitor-client privilege to allow Wilson-Raybould to speak.

“That the House: (a) call on the Prime Minister to waive solicitor-client privilege for the former Attorney General with respect to allegations of interference in the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin; and (b) urge the government to launch a public inquiry, under the Inquiries Act, in order to provide Canadians with the transparency and accountability promised by the Liberals in the 2015 election campaign,” the full text of the motion reads.

“For a government that is pleading their innocence, they sure are acting guilty,” the NDP sponsor of the motion, MP Charlie Angus, told reporters in the West Block foyer. He said Butts’ resignation cannot be overstated and that the allegations have corroded public confidence in the Canadian judicial system.

“When Canadians are expecting politicians to do better and they’ve got a prime minister who promised to do better, they are paying attention,” Angus said.

Since the scandal erupted, Trudeau has offered a variety of comments on the situation, from blaming Wilson-Raybould being ousted from the justice post in the first place on Scott Brison, who resigned last month, to saying that “the government of Canada did its job,” in this case and followed the rules.

Trudeau arrived at West Block for the cabinet meeting early on Tuesday and offered no comment on the departure of his closest adviser when asked by CTV News reporters both inside and outside the building.

Speaking to reporters in the House foyer, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer was critical of the continuously evolving messages coming from Trudeau’s office.

“This scandal continues to develop and now more than ever I think it’s clear we need a full public inquiry so we can get some light shone on this issue,” he said.

He alleged in the House of Commons that Trudeau’s office may have engaged in an obstruction of justice. That allegation has not been backed up by any evidence to date, as various Liberal MPs have stated when asked about the case.

Scheer said Tuesday that his caucus will support the NDP motion, which was debated throughout the day.

The vote on the motion for a public inquiry is expected on Wednesday, and will likely have the backing of the opposition parties. It remains to be seen whether any backbench Liberals will follow suit.

Government House Leader Bardish Chagger told reporters that she is “looking at” whether the Liberal majority will support the opposition motion, and will speak to Lametti about it.

Gerald Butts

Ministers praise Gerald Butts, wife speaks

Several Liberal ministers voiced their praise and respect for Butts as they arrived on Parliament Hill for the first in-person federal cabinet meeting since the story erupted 12 days ago. Many offered comments signalling they are keen to return to focusing on the mandate they were elected to fulfill, with just over eight months until the next federal election.

“It’s obviously a sad moment for me and Gerry’s many friends and people who really admire the tremendous work he’s done for Canada. Having said that, you know, our work goes on,” said Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland.

Butts said the allegation is distracting from the work Trudeau and his government are doing and so it’s in the best interest of the office of the prime minister that he step aside.

The allegations were reported by The Globe and Mail 11 days ago, citing anonymous sources. CTV News has not independently verified the story. Butts was not specifically named in the initial report.

Though, the PMO had told reporters last week that Wilson-Raybould raised the SNC-Lavalin case with Butts in December, and that at that time he had told her to raise it with the clerk of the Privy Council. Trudeau has also said that Wilson-Raybould had asked him in the fall if he planned on telling her what to do in regards to the case, to which he said it was a decision only she could make.

Public Services and Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough said she has worked closely with Butts and that he’s a “good guy,” who has “done a lot for our government.”

“He’s been remarkably effective at guiding this government towards the types of policies that make a big impact for Canadians,” said Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Jean-Yves Duclos.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau said that he has “an enormous amount of respect for Gerry Butts.”

“My sense is that he’s decided, I think appropriately, to defend himself against people saying things that just aren’t true,” Morneau said.

Asked if she still has confidence in the PMO, Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said “absolutely.”

Meanwhile off the Hill, CTV News spoke with Butts’ wife Jodi Butts at their home, where she said her husband’s statement stands, and that she supports his decision.

“I thought his statement summed up all his feelings quite well,” she said.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Headlines

Ottawa sets monthly record for total COVID-19 cases with 99 new cases on Friday

Editor

Published

on

By

Sixteen days into October, Ottawa has already set the record for most cases of COVID-19 in a single month.

Ottawa Public Health reported 99 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa today, and three more deaths linked to novel coronavirus.

Ontario’s Ministry of Health had reported 108 new cases of COVID-19, but there is sometimes a lag in COVID-19 case reporting between Ontario and Ottawa Public Health. On Wednesday, Ontario reported 39 new cases in Ottawa, while Ottawa Public Health reported 45 new cases.

There have been 1,511 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa in October, surpassing the September record of 1,413 new cases.

Since the first case of COVID-19 on March 11, there have been 5,908 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, including 301 deaths.

Across Ontario, there are 712 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday. Health Minister Christine Elliott reported 213 new cases in Toronto, 135 in Peel Region and 62 in York Region.

HOSPITALIZATIONS IN OTTAWA

One more person was admitted to an Ottawa hospital with COVID-19 related illnesses on Friday.

Ottawa Public Health reports 47 people are currently in hospital with COVID-19, including eight in the intensive care unit.

ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA

The number of active cases of COVID-19 increased on Friday.

There are 792 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, up from 777 active cases on Thursday.

A total of 4,806 people have recovered after testing positive for COVID-19.

The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ottawa mayor rejects possible return of Ottawa-Gatineau border checkpoints, ‘I really don’t think they work’

Editor

Published

on

By

Mayor Jim Watson does not want to see police checkpoints return to the five interprovincial crossings between Ottawa and Gatineau, saying “I really don’t think they work.”

Earlier this week, Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin told the Ottawa Citizen that police checkpoints could return to the Ottawa-Gatineau border at “any time,” with the final decision in the hands of the Quebec Government. Earlier this month, Dr. Brigitte Pinard of the Centre Integre de sante et de services sociaux de l’Outaouais said border checkpoints were “possible,” adding “right now, our message is to limit large gatherings.”

When asked by CTV Morning Live host Leslie Roberts about the possibility of police checkpoints returning to the Ontario-Quebec border, Watson said he did not think they worked back in the spring.

“There were so many gaps when the police were not there, and people just figured out I’ll go at an earlier time or a later time. We saw police officers sticking their heads in the car with no masks, so that was not healthy for those individuals,” said Watson Friday morning.

“It’s a costly expense when our police are stretched already to the limit trying to do the work, to have them set up at five different bridge points potentially 24 hours a day would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars every month and I think the money is better spent.”

On April 1, Gatineau Police and the Surete du Quebec set up checkpoints along the Ottawa-Gatineau border to limit non-essential trips into Gatineau. Gatineau Police estimated the random police checkpoints between April 1 and May 17 cost the service more than $400,000.

Mayor Watson tells CTV Morning Live that the Quebec Government’s decision to move Gatineau into the “red zone” two days after Ontario moved Ottawa to a modified Stage 2 should help.

“We are a close relationship and when things happen in Gatineau there’s often a trickle effect over here and I think the fact that we’re both in the red zone, and Quebec of course is the worst hit province, at least levels the playing field for our restaurants and bars,” said Watson.

“I think in the past what had happened was our restaurants and bars would close and then the ones in Gatineau would stay open, and then people from Ottawa would go over there irresponsibly, in my opinion, and then come back potentially with the virus and spread it here.”

While border checkpoints would limit the non-essential travel across the Ottawa-Gatineau border, Watson says that’s not the way to beat COVID-19.

“The message is very clear, stick to your household. This is not the time to have an AirBNB party or a keg party in your backyard, or have 20 people or 30 people in for an engagement party. I know a lot of these get-togethers are important socially for people and emotionally, but we have to ask people to be reasonable and responsible, and this is not the year to do those kinds of things.”

Roberts asked the mayor if he would have a conversation about border checkpoints with Gatineau’s mayor.

“I had it the first go-around, but at the end of the day I also respect their jurisdiction and their autonomy. It is the province that would have to impose that, not the municipality,” said Watson.

“From our perspective, we don’t think it’s an effective use of resources. We want to continue to get the message across that we can win this battle against COVID-19 if we socially distance, we wear a mask, we actually follow the simple rules that are put forward.”

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ottawa woman breaks 14-day quarantine rule to work at long-term care home: police

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — A 53-year-old Ottawa woman is facing charges under the federal Quarantine Act after Ottawa police say she failed to self-isolate for 14 days after travelling abroad and returned to work at a long-term care home.

Ottawa Police say information was received indicating that an Ottawa woman had travelled abroad. She returned to Canada on Sept. 26, so she was required under federal law to quarantine for 14 days, until Oct. 9

“The woman decided not to respect this order and went to work on Sept. 30 at a long-term health facility in Ottawa,” police said in a news release. “When management was apprised of the situation, she was immediately sent home. The facility immediately activated mitigating self-isolation and cleaning protocols and informed all persons that had been in contact with the subject.”

Police say none of the residents of the long-term care facility have tested positive for COVID-19 as a result of the woman attending work.

Ottawa police say this is the first person they have charged under the Quarantine Act during the pandemic.

The woman is charged with failing to comply with entry condition under section 58 of the Quarantine Act and cause risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm under section 67 of the Quarantine Act.

The maximum penalty for causing risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm is a $1 million fine and three years in prison. For failing to self-isolate for 14 days, she faces a $750,000 fine and up to six months in jail.

Police did not release the name of the woman, nor where she worked. The woman is due in court on Nov. 24.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson’s office issued a statement following the announcement of the charges.

“Mayor Watson was disturbed to learn about the alleged carelessness of the individual in question. This type of reckless behaviour could have harmed their colleagues, and more importantly, the residents of the long term care home. We must all do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community.”

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending