Connect with us

Headlines

Brampton, Ont., man charged in death of his 11-year-old daughter dies in hospital: police

Editor

Published

on

[ad_1]

A man from the Toronto-area charged with first-degree murder last week in the death of his 11-year-old daughter died Wednesday, according to Peel police. 

Roopesh Rajkumar, 41, had been in Sunnybrook Hospital with what police described as a self-inflicted gunshot wound since the night of his daughter’s death.

Rajkumar was arrested at about midnight on Feb. 14, around the same time officers discovered the body of his daughter, Riya Rajkumar, in his basement apartment in Brampton, Ont.

Riya had been the subject an Amber Alert issued just an hour earlier. 

Police said investigators from the Homicide and Missing Persons Bureau are continuing their investigation into the death of Riya. 

Police were initially called by Riya’s mother after Rajkumar failed to return the young girl home from her birthday celebrations that evening.​

Riya Rajkumar, 11, was found dead in her father’s basement apartment in Brampton, Ont., on Feb. 14. (Submitted) 

Rajkumar had been found driving north 

Provincial police found Rajkumar driving north on Highway 11 near Orillia, about 130 kilometres north of Brampton, in a silver Honda Civic.

Initially, police only revealed that he was taken to hospital rather than jail, but declined to disclose what led to the decision.

On Feb. 16, Peel Regional Police Const. Danny Marttini said that after provincial police transferred him to Peel’s custody, officers noticed he was “not acting right” and decided to call paramedics, who transported him to a local hospital. 

It wasn’t until then that doctors discovered he was suffering from a gunshot wound. At that point, he was taken to a trauma centre for further treatment. 

Details of his wound weren’t immediately released.

Vigil held Tuesday for Riya 

Meanwhile, friends, family, and members of the community gathered at a candlelight vigil in Brampton Tuesday in honour of Riya. 

Acting Peel Police Chief Chris McCord read out a statement written by Riya’s mother at the event. 

“She touched a lot of lives with her laughter and contagious smile. It breaks my heart to know I will no longer be seeing that smile,” the statement said.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Headlines

Record one million job losses in March: StatCan

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — More than one million Canadians lost their jobs in the month of March, Statistics Canada is reporting. The unemployment rate has also climbed to 7.8 per cent, up from 2.2 percentage points since February.

Canada’s national statistics agency released its monthly Labour Force Survey on Thursday, using March 15 to 21 as the sample week – a time when the government began enforcing strict guidelines around social gatherings and called on non-essential businesses to close up shop.

The first snapshot of job loss since COVID-19 began taking a toll on the Canadian economy shows 1.1 million out of work since the prior sample period and a consequent decrease in the employment rate – the lowest since April 1997. The most job losses occurred in the private sector and among people aged 15-24.

The number of people who were unemployed increased by 413,000, resulting in the largest one-month increase in Canada’s unemployment rate on record and takes the economy back to a state last seen in October, 2010.

“Almost all of the increase in unemployment was due to temporary layoffs, meaning that workers expected to return to their job within six months,” reads the findings.

The agency included three new indicators, on top of the usual criteria, to better reflect the impact of COVID-19 on employment across the country.

The survey, for example, excludes the more commonly observed reasons for absent workers — such as vacation, weather, parental leave or a strike or lockout — to better isolate the pandemic’s effect.

They looked at: people who are employed but were out of a job during the reference week, people who are employed but worked less than half their usual hours, and people who are unemployed but would like a job.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Employee at Ottawa’s Amazon Fulfillment Centre tests positive for COVID-19

Editor

Published

on

By

OTTAWA — An employee who works at Amazon’s fulfillment centre on Boundary Road in Ottawa’s east-end has tested positive for COVID-19.

Amazon says it learned on April 3 that an associate tested positive for novel coronavirus and is currently in isolation. The employee last worked at the fulfillment centre on March 19.

Two employees told CTV News Ottawa that management informed all employees about the positive test in a text message over the weekend.

In a statement to CTV News Ottawa, Amazon spokesperson Jen Crowcroft wrote “we are supporting the individual who is recovering. We are following guidelines from health officials and medical experts, and are taking extreme measures to ensure the safety of employees at our site.”

The statement also says that Amazon has taken steps to further protect their employees.

“We have also implemented proactive measures at our facilities to protect employees including increased cleaning at all facilities, maintaining social distance in the FC.”

CTV News Ottawa asked Amazon about the timeline between when the company found out about the positive COVID-19 case and when employees were notified.

In a separate email to CTV News Ottawa, Crowcroft said “all associates of our Boundary Road fulfillment centre in Ottawa were notified within 24 hours of learning of the positive COVID-19 case.”

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ottawa facing silent spring as festivals, events cancelled

Editor

Published

on

By

This is shaping up to be Ottawa’s silent spring — and summer’s sounding pretty bleak, too — as more and more concerts, festivals and other annual events are cancelled in the wake of measures meant to slow the spread of coronavirus.

The province has already banned gatherings of more than five people, and on Monday officials announced city parks, facilities and services will remain shut down until the end of June, nor will any event permits be issued until at least that time.

“This leaves us with no choice but to cancel the festival this year,” Ottawa Jazz Festival artistic director Petr Cancura confirmed Monday.

This was to be the festival’s 40th anniversary, and organizers announced the lineup for the June 19-July 1 event the day after Ottawa’s first confirmed case of COVID-19. 

The Toronto and Montreal jazz festivals had already pulled the plug because of similar restrictions in their cities, so Cancura said the writing was on the wall.

“We have a few contingency plans to keep connecting with our audience and working with our artists,” Cancura said.

People holding tickets to the 2020 festival can ask for a refund or exchange for a 2021 pass.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending