Connect with us

Headlines

Ontario AG minister asks Ottawa to offer compensation to meat producers

Editor

Published

on

Ontario’s agriculture minister is urging the federal government to offer compensation to meat producers harmed by the ongoing trade dispute with China.

In a letter to his federal counterpart released Tuesday, Ernie Hardeman writes that his office has been told that affected processors are “incurring losses on a weekly basis of up to $15-$30 per hog in lost revenues,” because of China’s decision to block pork imports from Canada.

“Ontario strongly encourages the federal government to work with the meat sector to provide compensation to ensure they remain viable until predictable trade is restored and assist them in securing new export markets,” he writes.

Hardeman says the trade dispute with China was raised at the recent federal-provincial-territorial meeting of agriculture ministers in Quebec City, with the country’s premiers also calling on Ottawa to provide support for sectors affected by the trade spat during their joint gathering last month in Saskatoon.

“While Ontario appreciates your efforts on this issue, we urgently need progress to support our agri-food sector,” he writes to federal Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau.

“We are ready to work with the federal government, other provinces and Ontario’s beef and pork sectors to ensure the province’s meat products have fair access to markets, and Canada’s international brand as a supplier of high quality and safe agri-food products remains intact,” he added.

In an emailed statement, Bibeau told iPolitics she has been in touch with Hardeman to discuss “these and other important issues facing Canadian agriculture,” while noting that the feds are “taking a Team Canada approach to resolving trade issues with China.”

The Trudeau government, she said, would “continue to ensure that the sector has the support it needs.”

“We are working tirelessly to resume trade of key agricultural exports with China as soon as possible and to create new opportunities by expanding global markets for Canadian businesses,” Bibeau said, adding that Ottawa, in partnership with the provinces and territories, is in “close contact with the impacted agricultural sectors. ”

Tensions between China and Canada have run high since the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver last December. She was arrested at the behest of the U.S., who want her extradited to face criminal charges for Huawei’s alleged attempt to circumvent American sanctions against Iran.

In the weeks following, China detained Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, in what was widely seen as retaliation for Meng’s arrest. Since then, China has suspended necessary import permits for Canadian canola — citing unsubstantiated pests complaints — and pork.

In late June, China also suspended Canadian exports of meat into its borders after the Canadian Food Inspection Agency discovered several dozen veterinary health certificates had been forged.

The Trudeau government has offered some support to canola farmers blocked out of the Chinese market. Bibeau announced in May that Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada would increase the maximum loan limit under the Advance Payments Program (APP) to $1 million. For canola farmers, $500,000 will be interest-free.

The APP, a federal loan program administered by producers organizations, previously only allowed producers to borrow up to $400,000 per year, with the first $100,000 interest-free.

Hardeman says both the federal and provincial governments need to “consider the short- and medium-term impacts” of the trade impasse so “farmers and processors can plan with certainty and know their governments have their backs.”

He also urged Canada to “make maximum use of our World Trade Organization rights” in challenging China’s blockade of canola, beef and pork imports.

Bibeau said new trade pacts with the U.S., Mexico, Europe and Pacific Rim nations have granted Canadian farmers and producers “preferential market access to an estimated 1.5 billion consumers in more than 50 countries.” She also noted that Ottawa is working with provincial governments to improve programs, namely AgriStability. Just last month, federal, provincial and territorial agriculture ministers agreed to work together on “potential changes to that program for the 2020 growing season,” Bibeau added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Virtual farmer’s market comes to Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

Ottawa first-ever virtual farmer’s market has begun delivering food from local farms straight to people’s homes.

Farm to Hand is making it easier for people who cannot access their local farmer’s markets to find local, fresh organic food by bringing ordered food right to their doors. 

“The difference between us and the farmers market is really just the convenience and the on-demandness,” Sean Mallia, the co-founder of the business, told CBC Radio’s In Town and Out.

“[Often times a] person wants to make the purchase but they don’t have the time on Saturdays to go to the farmers market. Everyone wants to eat local … so when it’s easy for them to do it, it just happens.” In Town and Out No time to drive to the farmer’s market but really want to eat local?

Connecting farmers with people 

The online platform allows farmers to list all their own products, and buyers can have the goods delivered. 

“What we really are trying to do is build that connection between farmer and consumer,” Mallia said. “When people fill up a cart … they’re not just filling a cart full of food, they’re filling a cart full of farmers and farms and their stories.”

Mallia said the aim is to connect people to the “vibrant food ecosystem” around them, and to local support farmers.

The virtual market is currently limited to the Ottawa area as a pilot project, but Mallia, 21, said the company is looking to expand.

“[We chose Ottawa because] Ottawa really cares. Ottawa really thinks about local [food] and thinks about sustainability,” he said. “It just made sense to come out of Ottawa.”

Continue Reading

Headlines

Denley: Stonebridge and Mattamy show compromise is possible over development in Ottawa

Editor

Published

on

By

In Ottawa, development proposals too often end up in acrimony and trips to the provincial planning tribunal. That’s why it’s so refreshing to see Mattamy Homes and residents of the south Nepean suburb of Stonebridge work together to resolve a dispute in a way that’s likely to lead to a victory for both sides.

A little over a year ago, Mattamy created an uproar in the golf course community when it announced a plan to build 158 new homes on golf course lands and alter the Stonebridge course to make it shorter and less attractive to golfers. To residents, it looked like the first step in a plan to turn most, or all, of the course into housing.

It’s easy to see why residents were upset. When people pay a premium for a lot backing onto a golf course, there is certainly an implication that the lot will continue to back onto a golf course, but without a legally binding guarantee, it’s no sure thing.

Mattamy’s situation was understandable, too. This is a tough time to be in the golf course business in Ottawa. There are too many courses and not enough golfers so it’s no surprise that golf course owners would find the idea of turning a course into a housing development to be attractive, doubly so when the golf course is owned by a development company.

This is a tough time to be in the golf course business in Ottawa. There are too many courses and not enough golfers so it’s no surprise that golf course owners would find the idea of turning a course into a housing development to be attractive.

In the face of the local opposition, Mattamy withdrew its development application. When things cooled down, the company, the neighbours and the city started to work together on finding a solution that would satisfy everyone.

With the city-sponsored help of veteran planning consultant Jack Stirling, they came up with an unusual idea that will still let Mattamy develop its desired number of homes, in exchange for a promise to operate the course for at least 10 years and redesign it so that it remains attractive to golfers.

At the end of the 10 years, Mattamy can sell the course to the community for $6 million. To raise the money, the community working group is proposing a special levy to be paid by Stonebridge homeowners starting in 2021. The amount will range from $175 a year to $475 a year, depending on property values.

If the deal is approved by a majority of homeowners, Mattamy gets its development and a way out of the money-losing golf business. Homeowners get certainty about no future development. They can choose to keep the course going or retain the 198 acres as green space. It’s not a cheap solution, but it keeps their community as it is and preserves property values.

If a majority of homeowners backs the deal, both the levy and redevelopment will still need to be approved by the city, something scheduled for late this fall.

Stonebridge Community Association president Jay McLean was part of the working group that prepared the proposal and he’s pleased with the outcome. The community’s number one goal was preserving green space, and the deal will accomplish that, he says. Mattamy division president Kevin O’Shea says the deal “gives the community the certainty they are looking for.”

As useful as this deal could be for Stonebridge residents, it doesn’t provide a template to resolve a somewhat similar dispute in Kanata North, where the owner of the Kanata Lakes golf course wants to work with a group of local developers to replace the course with housing. In Kanata, a longstanding legal agreement saying the community has to have 40 per cent open space strengthens residents’ situation. In Stonebridge, there was no legal impediment to developing the whole course.

Golf course communities have become an anachronism in a city intent on intensifying within the urban boundary. Redeveloping those lands for housing is in sync with the city’s planning goals, but it’s not politically saleable to homeowners who thought they had a deal. If it goes ahead, the Stonebridge plan shows there is a reasonable middle ground.

Continue Reading

Headlines

City eyes five big themes for Ottawa’s new official plan

Editor

Published

on

By

As Ottawa maps out its future for the next 25-plus years, city staff propose focusing on five major areas, including the places we live and the ways we move around the capital.

A staff report to the city’s planning committee lays out five themes for future public consultations, before city council finalizes the plan.

1. Growth Management: City staff say Ottawa should focus on building up, rather than out. Staff also suggest the city provide direction on the type of new housing developments, rather than focusing on the number of units in a development, to encourage a wider variety of housing types.

2. Mobility: Staff say the city should encourage active transportation — like walking and cycling — and transit use by better co-ordinating land use and transportation planning. The report also encourages designing streets to better accomodate pedestrians and cyclists, as well as improving connections to the O-Train and Transitway.

3.  Urban and Community Design: Because Ottawa is a major city and the nation’s capital, staff say the design of our city’s buildings and skyline should be a higher calibre to reflect that status. Staff also suggest the city provide high-level direction for better designed parks and public spaces.

4. Climate, Energy and Public Health: Staff say residents’ health must be foundational to the city’s new official plan, with policies contributing to creating more inclusive, walkable, and sustainable communities.

5. Economic Development: Because much of Ottawa’s employment is knowledge-based, the city suggests those employment spaces could be better integrated into neighbourhoods and along main streets and transit nodes, instead of being isolated in business parks. City staff also suggest the city encourage more business incubation and identify opportunities to increase local food production.

The city’s new official plan will map out the city’s growth to 2046. The five themes and the plan’s high-level policy direction will go before the city’s planning committee, next week.

Public consultation and fine-tuning is expected to happen before city council approves the final version of the new official plan in 2021.

Continue Reading

Chat

Trending